Advantage to use navarchar(max) over text data type :
- Use the string functions in navarchar(max) data type.
- 2 The default setting for NVARCHAR(MAX) is to store its text value in the table structure, unless the text is over 8,000 bytes at which point it behaves like an NTEXT and stores the text value in the LOB , and stores a pointer to the text in the table.
- 3 SQL Server 2014 ntext and text will be Discontinued features.
- You can easily convert text to navarchar(max) column.
- For performance reasons and future support it is advisable to change it to navarchar(max).